Lactation Cookies

One of my goals after having Kellen was to give him a diet that primarily consisted of breast milk. Kellen was in the NICU after he was born, and breast feeding was very difficult. Since then I have been pumping to make sure he is getting as much as the good stuff as possible. We have to supplement with formula pretty occasionally, but his daily diet is mainly breast milk. I have read about different ways to help boost milk supply and there are all kinds of different methods. Fenugreek, beer, oatmeal, flax, massage, reflexology....the list is long. I am currently taking fenugreek and eating these cookies (yum!).  The combination of oats, brewer's yeast and flax is thought to have an impact on the breast milk supply. There are many different recipes out there, but these are delicious. Even if you are not a nursing mom these cookies are packed with delicious ingredients- my husband loves them!  The most common question people ask me is: "will I produce breast milk if I eat these?" and the answer is no, but you will get to enjoy a delicious cookie! I stuck pretty close to the original recipe, but I omitted the nuts resulting in a less dense cookie. So far I have made two batches of these (someone in my house also loves them!) and I have noticed an increase in my supply.  Rewarded by eating cookies..... lessons have been learned.  If you are a nursing mom or a cookie lover give these a try!


Ingredients

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour 
1 3/4 cup oats 
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup  peanut butter
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 cup ground flax
3 Tbl brewer's yeast
1/3 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
1 bag (12 oz) chocolate chips


Instructions


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
In a large bowl, beat almond butter, butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, brewer's yeast, flax and water until creamy.

Mix in eggs.

Gradually beat in flour mixture.

Mix in chocolate chips. Add oats slowly, mixing along the way.

Place tablespoon mounds of dough onto greased baking sheets.

Bake 12-13 minutes.

Labels: , ,