Blue Cheese and Swiss Chard Risotto

As you probably can tell I love making risotto.... I love that there are endless possibilities of different flavor combinations. I love that it can be a main dish or a side. I love that it can please both meat eaters and vegetarians because it is easily adaptable. I love that I get to use wine to make it and that means I get to drink wine.  I also love blue cheese and have not made a risotto with blue cheese yet. I was originally going to use kale, but decided to try something new a use swiss chard. I loved the flavors of this risotto and can't wait to make it again. I think next time I would add a little bacon or panchetta. If you are not a fan of strong cheese a recommend tasting as you go so it does not become to strong for you. 


Ingredients

1 Tbl butter
1 Tbl olive oil
1 shallot, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup arborio rice
1/4 cup white wine
4 cups chicken stock
3 cups chopped swiss chard
1/4 crumbled blue cheese (plus a little extra to sprinkle on top)
2 Tbl Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper, to taste


Instructions

Place chicken stock in a medium saucepan. Bring  to a simmer (do not boil). Keep warm over low-medium heat.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots and cook for 3 minutes and add garlic. Stir in rice, and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Increase heat to medium and add wine. Add 1/2 cup stock and cook 3-5 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.  Continue adding remaining stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of stock is absorbed before adding the next.  Add swiss chard when last portion of stock is added. Stir until swiss chard had cooked down and wilted. Right before you serve the risotto, stir in the Parmesan and blue cheese. Season with salt and black pepper. Top with additional cheese if desired.

Labels: , , , , ,