Creamy Cajun Shrimp and Andouille Pasta

I actually made this pasta awhile ago and am finally getting around to posting it! I love "throw together" pasta recipes and this is another great one. I love the kick from the sausage, seasoning and pepper jack cheese.  Shrimp has also been a household favorite after not eating it for nine month while I was pregnant with Kellen.  This recipe is really easy and you could add in whatever veggies you happen to have on hand. If you do not like it spicy I think a smoked sausage would work very nicely, and you can reduce the Cajun seasoning to meet your heat preferences.

Ron, Kellen and I are heading to Key West in a few weeks! I am so excited, but a little nervous traveling with a baby.  I think it is going to be a really fun trip, and I can't wait for Kellen to experience warm weather for the first time.

Anyone have any good tips when traveling with a child under 6 months?


Ingredients

1 lb Andouille Sausage, sliced
1 tsp olive oil
1 lb Raw Shrimp, peeled and deviend
1 red onion, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 can petite diced tomatoes, drained
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup milk
3 Tbl flour
2/3 cup grated pepper jack cheese
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 lb Pasta of Choice (I used corkscrews)


Instructions

Heat oil in a large rimmed skillet. Add sausage and cook through over medium heat. Remove sausage from skillet and set aside. Add onions and peppers to skillet and adjust heat if necessary.  Once onions are tender, add corn, sausage, Cajun seasoning, tomatoes and stock. Turn heat to med-low and simmer 10-15 minutes.

While sauce is simmering cook pasta according to package instructions, drain and set aside.

Combine milk and flour in a cup to create a surrey. Pour into sauce, stir and allow it to thicken.  Stir in shrimp and allow them to cook to light pink color. Stir in cheese and gently toss sauce into the pasta.

Labels: , , ,