Mexican Lasagna

I love lasagna, but find that I very rarely make variations on the classic recipe. I was really craving Mexican food and pasta one night, and decided that this would fit the bill. This recipe is based off a recipe I found on Taste of Home. I changed around a few ingredients and built mine a little differently. Ron and I loved the non-traditional lasagna flavors and how easy it was to put together. When making lasagna it always seems like you have to dirty every dish in the house, but this recipe is pretty good on keeping the dish load down. Delicious, gooey and cheesy? Check! I think this lasagna will definitely be coming back to our dinner table again!


Ingredients

1 1/2 lean ground beef or ground turkey
1 16 oz can refried beans
1 4 oz can diced green chilies
1 envelope taco seasoning (I use gluten free)
2 tablespoons salsa (I used medium)
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
12 ounces lasagna noodles (I use gluten free)
1 16 oz jar salsa (I used medium)
2 cups light sour cream
1 egg
Sliced black olives
3 green onions, chopped


Instructions


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, chilies, taco seasoning and salsa.

While beef with cooking, cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain, rinse and set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix sour cream and egg together. Set aside.

Spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray, layer a third of the noodles, meat mixture and sour cream. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. Repeat layers twice.

Pour salsa over the top of the lasagna. Cover and bake for 1 hour or until heated through.  Let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting.  Top with black olives and green onions.

Labels: , , , , , ,