Patriotic Poke Cake

I know 4th of July is over and I am late to the party with this dessert, but I had to share it because it was so yummy. I have made different versions of poke cake before, but I wanted to make one for July 4th. The original recipe comes from Kraft, but I adjusted it to make a more festive cake! With all of the summer berries coming into season you do not have to make a flag cake....maybe just a bunch of yummy berries! I used two colors (red and blue) in my cake, but you can use just one packet of jello if you go with one color. This was a lovely, colorful and festive cake! Perfect for any holiday.... maybe a Packer party? 


Ingredients

1 box white cake mix (+ whatever is needed to make the cake)
1/2 3 oz packet of cherry jello
1/2 3 oz packet of blue jello
1 cups hot water
1 tub cool whip
1 3oz packet vanilla instant pudding
Sliced Strawberries and Blueberries


Instructions

Mix and bake cake according to package directions in a 9x13 baking pan.  Remove cake from oven and allow it to cool for 15 minutes. Poke cake in 1/2- 1 inch intervals. 

Mix each jello with 1/2 cup hot water and stir till dissolved. Pour over cake in patches and try now to mix it (unless you want purple!).  Refrigerate for 3 hours.  When the cake is done in the fridge mix pudding and cool whip together until it thickens. Spread evenly over the cake and top with berries to make a flag design. 

Labels: , , ,