Slow Cooker BBQ Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches

I honestly can't say enough about my crockpot. I love it during the summer so my house isn't a sauna and I love it on our busy nights when there isn't enough time to cook. I came across these chicken sandwiches in Pinterest, but they are originally from Cooking Classy. I have been loving pineapple lately and thought it would be delicious to try when my in-laws came for dinner before our volleyball game. The original recipe caramelizes the pineapple slice...I was not that ambitious, but will have to give it a try next time. I loved the flavor of these sandwiches and loved the addition of the coconut extract! My family thought that these sandwiches were absolutely delicious. I can't wait to make these again and I would love to give them a try with the caramelized pineapple ring (or maybe a sliced of cheese?).

In other news Kellen has a tooth, *Sniff*, and I am still in denial that he was not born last week.


Ingredients

2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
3 tsp molasses
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp cold water
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp tomato paste
Pineapple Rings and Green Onions


Instructions

Place chicken in a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker. In a mixing bowl, whisk together ketchup, pineapple juice, low sodium soy sauce, honey, molasses, coconut extract, ginger, onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper. Pour sauce over chicken in slow cooker, cover with lid and cook on low heat for 5 - 6 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker, shred and set aside. In a medium saucepan, whisk together cold water and cornstarch, pour in sauce from slow cooker and add tomato paste. Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently, then reduce heat and simmer 30 seconds, stirring constantly, until thickened. Return chicken to slow cooker (or the mixing bowl) and pour sauce over chicken, toss to evenly coat. Serve warm on hamburger buns and top with pineapple rings and green onions.

Labels: , , ,