Chorizo, Black Bean and Quinoa Bake

Do you ever have one of those dinners where you can't stop thinking about how yummy it was?  This was one of those dinners. I saw a few taco style quinoa bakes on Pinterest and decided that I wanted to try out my own version.  This is not really taco...I would call it "southwest".  The quinoa made a great casserole and the leftover were outstanding! The fresh garnishes cut the heat and provided a little herbiness (is that a word?) to the dish.  I think this would be equally delicious with chicken or beef, but there is something extra special about the flavor the chorizo brings to the casserole. 

Chorizo is a good thing to post about today because it is my husband's favorite and today is our anniversary.  7 years together, 2 years married and baby boy Kellen. 
He is the pepper to my salt. 
syrup to my pancakes
mustard to my brat
and a basket of cheese curds on top!
I love you. 


Ingredients

1 lb ground chorizo
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 cup corn
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 4 oz can diced green chilies
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cup beef stock
1/2 tsp cumin
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 10 oz can enchilada sauce
1 cup cheddar cheese
Sour Cream, Sliced Olives, Chopped Tomatoes and Cilantro


Instructions

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Place quinoa and beef stock into a small pot. Simmer for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.

Brown chorizo in a large rimmed skillet.  Add beans, corn, tomatoes and chilies. Stir in quinoa. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray (I used a deep 8x8). Pour chorizo mixture into the dish. Pour enchilada sauce over the casserole and top with cheddar cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Garnish with sour cream, olives, fresh tomatoes and cilantro. 

Labels: , , , , ,