Orange Pesto Skirt Steak

Grilling is one of the major perks of summer at our house. Ron and I grill year round, snow and all, but there  is something about summer that make grilling more fun. We love to crack open a cold beer and take in the smells and tastes of summer. I saw this recipe on Plain Chicken's blog and thought it sounded different and delicious. It was also a perfect opportunity to use some of our frozen pesto!  Ron and I had never grilled skirt steak before, but it turned out great. I like that it cooks so quickly because that is a big plus on a weeknight! I really loved the flavor from the marinate, but I really didn't taste to much of the orange juice (maybe adding a little zest would make the flavor more intense).  I served this with mashed potatoes and my swap recipe (revealed tomorrow).  This was a fantastic (and affordable) quick weeknight steak dinner. 


Ingredients

1 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup pesto 
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 lb skirt steak


Instructions

Combine orange juice, pesto, salt and garlic. Pour over skirt steak and let marinate in the refrigerator at least 8 hours or overnight.  Heat grill to high and grill steak 2-3 min minutes per side (I would not recommend cooking skirt steak over medium temperature because it can get chewy).  Remove meat from grill and allow it to rest for a few minutes.  To slice, cut each piece of skirt into a 3 to 4 inch section with the grain. Then, slice each of those sections into thin strips about 1/2- 3/4 inch thick against the grain. Serve immediately. 

Labels: , ,