Healthy Chocolate Mousse

Time for January WC Recipe Swap!


The theme for this month was holiday cooking/baking and I received the blog Eva Bakes.  Eva has tons of different and delicious treats on her blog making picking one a hard job! She is also an accomplished figure skater and give updates on different goals and accomplishments. My mind immediately went to something sweet while reviewing different options. My normal habit when looking for a recipe is to review a bloggers favorite posts of the year. It helps me know what they really enjoyed because if they loved making it I always believe it will not only be delicious, but fun to make.  I am not a traditionalist when it comes to holiday desserts and never have had (besides my grandmother's apple pie) a "set" dessert for the holidays.  I saw Eva's recipe (originally from Chocolate Covered Katie) for Healthy Chocolate Pudding/Mousse and I immediately wanted to make it.  It fits my family perfectly for what we look for in a holiday dessert- easy, rich and delicious.  The other benefit to this dessert is that it is vegan and uses coconut milk!  You can hardly taste the coconut flavor, but the mousse is rich and delicious.  I topped ours with a few raspberries and we happily gobbled it up.   I used Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk and, after draining the liquid, stored it in the fridge over night to make sure it would be nice and thick. 

Thank you for a delicious treat my entire family enjoyed! 

Thank you to Sarah of A Taste of Home Cooking for hosting our swaps! 


Ingredients

1 can full-fat coconut milk (do not shake)
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp cocoa powder 
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Powdered Sugar, to taste


Instructions

Open the coconut milk, and if it’s not already super-thick, leave the can (or transfer to a bowl) uncovered in the fridge overnight. Try not to shake the can too much before opening.  Once thick, drain the excess liquid and place thick cream into a bowl. Whip in your cocoa, vanilla, and sugar with a fork. Enjoy!

Labels: , , ,