French Onion Soup Dip

I love french onion soup. I think I would go as far to say that it is my favorite.  I love trying different french onion soups because each one always feels unique to me.  One of my favorites I only had recently and it was at BrownTrout in Chicago.  My other favorite is at a restaurant called Mark's East Side in Appleton.  We are going to France in May and I am excited to try it there as well. 

Confession: I have never made french onion soup. 

I have always wanted to, but I never do it. Honestly, I am not sure I ever will because I love trying them at restaurants.  Time will tell.... I have also seen recipes for french onion soup casserole.  I am intrigued by the idea and may have to give that a try. 

I know for some people it is all about the cheese or the bread.  For me, it is all about the broth (ok-the cheese is awesome too)- savory. rich, salty and sweet. 

This recipe came about during Superbowl weekend and I was craving french onion soup. I opted to make a creamy dip, but did not want it too thick.  The flour allows the stock to thicken with the onions and it was perfect of sliced french bread.  I used traditional  Gruyere cheese to give the dip the ooy-gooey quality that is necessary in all good dips.  

I was really pleased with how the dip turned out and it was quickly gobbled up by our guests. I think that adding a few herbs would give it a little something extra for next time. 

It is snowing in Green Bay.....and now all I can think about is a bowl of baked french onion soup. 


Ingredeints

2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic
2 Tbl salted butter
1 Tbl olive oil
2 Tbl sherry
2 Tbl Worcestershire sauce 
1 1/2 Tbl four
1 cup beef stock
6 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
Sliced French Bread and Chips


Instructions

Heat a medium sized rimmed skillet over medium low heat. Add butter and olive oil to skillet  and add onions.  Allow onions to caramelize 20-25 minutes.  

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

Add garlic, sherry, Worcestershire sauce with the onions and allow it to cook 2-3 minutes. Add flour and stir to coat. Stir in beef stock and allow it to simmer and thicken 1-2 minutes.  Stir in half the amount of cheese.  Pour dip into a small baking dish and top with remaining cheese. 

Bake 20-25 minutes till bubbly and hot.  Serve with sliced french bread and chips. 

Labels: , , , , ,