Corned Beef and Cabbage with Herb Buttered Potatoes

Happy belated St. Patrick's Day!

I am a day late with this recipe, but had to share because it is amazing.  I usually do not make corned beef at home because we like to go out for dinner.  However, this year I decided that I wanted to do both.  I went to my cooking board because I knew they would have tried and true recipes to recommend. 

Sarah of A Taste of Home Cooking recommended a Sandra Lee recipe and it sounded fantastic.  While preparing the meal, I was surprised at how easy it was and, like Sarah, wished I had done this sooner!  

I made a few small modifications to the recipe.  I used a bit more carrots and opted for baby carrots over chopped. I also decreased the apple juice and used a little brown sugar.  

This meal was absolutely delicious! The beef was so tender and juicy and the veggies so flavorful.  I also loved the herb butter potatoes. I usually do not fix my potatoes that way, but Ron and I loved it and decided that we needed to do it again.  I served this meal along side warm wedges of irish soda bread (recipe to come tomorrow).  Even little Kellen gobbled down the meal! 

Thank you Sarah for an awesome recommendation! 


Corned Beef and Cabbage with Herb Buttered Potatoes
Slightly modified from Sandra Lee and A Taste of Home Cooking

Corned Beef:
3- 3 1/2 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet 
2 cups baby carrots
2 medium onions, chopped
1 medium head green cabbage, cored and cut into small  wedges
1 cup apple juice
2 cup water
1 Tbl brown sugar
1 tsp black pepper

Potatoes:
2 pounds baby red potatoes, sliced in 1/2
1/2 stick butter, softened
1 tsp garlic powder
1/8 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper


Instructions

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees. 

Place  carrots and onions on the bottom of a large Dutch oven, then put the corned beef on top. Arrange the  cabbage wedges around the beef. Mix juice, water, sugar and pepper together. Add to corned beef along with contents of the spice packet. Cover and place in the oven. Cook 5 hours until the beef is tender. Remove the beef and slice. Arrange vegetables around beef on  a platter for service. 

Prior to the beef being done, add potatoes to a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and return them to the pot. Add the butter, garlic powder, parsley, and salt, and pepper, to taste. Stir gently combine so that all the potatoes are evenly coated. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with corn beef and vegetables.

Labels: , , , ,