Caprese Macaroni and Cheese

There are a few dishes that pop up on my reader and I immediately know that I am going to make it as soon as possible.  One of these dishes was Caprese Macaroni and Cheese from Stephanie Cooks.  I love caprese salads and sandwiches, and thought a pasta sounded absolutely divine. I stayed pretty close to the original with the exception of increasing the milk over using a heavy cream. and  increasing the amount of noodles from 1/2 pound to three quarters pound.  I also opted to stir in the tomatoes and basil over topping the finished product. I knew that Kellen would be more likely to eat it as long as everything was mixed together. 

The result was delicious and gave the familiar caprese flavors, but in a warm pasta. I serve this with grilled garlic scape pesto shrimp and it was a perfect combination! Kellen absolutely loved the pasta and ate two small portions for dinner and a bit more for lunch the following day. 

We actually have a free night tonight! I think we are going to take advantage by grilling a few steaks and potentially taking Kellen for a few rides and Bay Beach.  Next week I start my vacation and I could not be more excited to have a few days off to enjoy summer with my family! 


Ingredients

3/4 pound elbow noodles
2 tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup chicken stock
1 tsp garlic salt
Black pepper
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil


Instructions

 Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside. 

In a large sauce pot melt the butter and garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the  flour until a thickened paste forms.

Slowly pour in the milk and chicken stock while whisking continuously. Add garlic salt and black pepper. Bring to a slow simmer and allow it to slightly thicken.

Stir in mozzarella cheese and stir until completely melted. Add the noodles and stir till combined. Next, gently stir in the basil and tomatoes.  Serve immediately. 

Labels: , ,