Garlic Scape Pesto

On Saturday I went to the farmer's market and bought a new to me product called garlic scapes. I had heard of them before, but had never cooked with them. I know they are only available a limited time of year because they are harvested in late June early July. I went to my cooking board because I knew these ladies would have great ideas. A few ladies recommended this recipe for garlic scape pesto, but used almonds over the pistachios in the recipe. I had a caprese macaroni and cheese on the menu for dinner and thought it would be perfect with this pesto spread over grilled shrimp. 

This pesto did not disappoint and was absolutely delicious. The garlic scapes have a nice garlic flavor to them, but have a bit of sweetness. I also loved the addition of the almonds over the pistachios paired with the light garlic flavor. I actually made two batches so I could freeze some for later. I used this on our grilled shrimp, but am planning on some potatoes this week and a salad dressing.  

If you are at your local famer's market and see these guy give them, and this easy recipe, a try. 

Tonight we are playing volleyball at my work's employee picnic. My parents are coming with Kellen and we will have a little time to play at the park after the tourney and dinner. We attended last year and was a blast.  A bunch of my co-workers have young children to it is really fun to bring Kellen to play with everyone. 


Ingredients

10 large garlic scapes
1/3 cup unsalted almonds
1/3 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
salt and black pepper
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil


Ingredients

Puree the garlic scapes, almonds, cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a food processor until very finely chopped. With the food processor running, slowly pour the oil through the opening.  Store in an airtight container in the fridge up to a week or freeze. 

Labels: ,