Almond Basil Pesto

I have said it a hundred time but will say it again, I love pesto. 

One great thing about pesto is the versatility of it to create different types of pesto.  Normally, I like the use toasted pine nuts in my traditional basil pesto, but I like to throw in a little twist every so often.  In this case, I opted to use almonds over traditional toasted pine nuts. I really like this variation because the almond adds a bit more nutty flavor and creates a more robust pesto. In addition to being tasty almonds pack an even bigger protein and potassium punch than pine nuts. One thing I find with the almonds is that they create a little thicker pesto and you made have to adjust the olive oil as you blend depending on your preferences. 

I absolutely love this recipe and it makes me a bit sad because fresh basil will be quickly gone from gardens and farmer's markets.  This pesto freezes lovely and, if you are like Ron and I, makes a bunch to hoard in your freezer to enjoy during the cold months. 

Tonight I am getting my hair cut and hopping over to the gym of a bit before picking up Kellen's new cloth diapers (I am an addict and Bumgenius has a new print!).  Afterwards, Ron and I are going to have a late dinner after Mr. Kellen retires for the night. 

Tune in tomorrow for a recipe to show what you can do with this amazing pesto! 


Ingredients

2 cups packed basil leaves
1/8 cup slivered almonds
3 fresh garlic cloves
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2-2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (Adjust depending on thickness)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper


Instructions

In the food processor, add food processor add the basil, Parmesan, almonds, garlic, salt and pepper. 

Secure the lid and add the oil as you process the pesto until it is smooth. 

Remove from food processor and store in an airtight container or freeze.  Yields about a cup of pesto. 

Yields about a 3/4 to 1 cup of pesto

Labels: , , ,