Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream

Time for September's Improv Cooking Challenge! 

The theme for this month is milk and honey. I originally was planning to make a cake, but ice cream won the battle. Ice cream winning with me is always a bit or a surprise for me considering cake would almost always be my first choice.... except ice cream cake...blah. 

Recently, I have seen a bunch of different recipes using coconut milk as an ice cream base. I love coconut milk and thought that that was a perfect occasion to give it a try. I whipped up the base very quickly during an afternoon at our cottage in Door County. I used an immersion blender because we do not have a stand blender up there, but I think either would work just fine.  I also opted to use honey as a sweetener over sugar and added a bit of cinnamon.  The ice cream took about 5 hours to freeze and needed a few minutes on the counter before scooping.  Even though it is getting a little cool for ice cream in Wisconsin it is nice to have a quick treat that can be whipped up when the craving hits! 

We are getting ready for a fun filled weekend our nephew's birthday party, visiting friends in Lake Geneva and (hopefully) a Packer win! Tune in tomorrow for a special post on an amazing tailgate party and giveaway!

If you want to join the fun of the Improv Cooking Challenge visit Lesa of Edesia's Notebook for details! 

Stay tuned for next month's recipe using Peanut Butter and Chocolate!


Ingredients

14 oz can full-fat coconut milk 
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/8 tsp cinnamon
Pinch  salt


Instructions

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and blend with an immersion blender (you could also use a regular stand blender). Transfer ice cream to a freezer safe container. Place in the freezer for 4-6 hours, or until firm. Once firm, remove and serve (it may need to sit for a few minutes before it scoops easily). 

An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: , ,