Vanilla Brown Sugar Applesauce

Does anyone have a child that goes nuts for applesauce? I can raise my hand with no hesitation on that question. It is funny to me because when Kellen was younger he hated applesauce, yogurt and cottage cheese and now they are some of his favorite foods.  I normally make an unsweetened applesauce for us to enjoy and for fall baking. However, I wanted to add a few new flavors to one of our favorite snacks. Thankfully, we have a plentiful apple tree in our back yard and experimenting with different apple recipes is always encouraged. I love vanilla and apple together and with the slight sweetness from the brown sugar  the applesauce was amazing! I like a few chunks in my applesauce, but (as stated in the directions) blend it for a smoother consistency. Apple season is almost past us, but it is a good think I have lots of goodies in the freezer!

Tonight we are relaxing at home with a movie and Monday Night Football, and my nephew is coming to see our pumpkins glowing at night! I love how they turned out and make the house feel (and look) so festive! 


Ingredients

15 apples, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
1/4 brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbl pure vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup water


Instructions

Place all ingredients into a large pot. Cook on medium low heat and stir frequently until apples mash easily.  Remove from heat and mash with a fork. If you desire a smooth apple sauce allow the apple sauce to cool and place in a blender (we prefer a few chunks in our sauce).  Store in an airtight container in the fridge. 

Labels: , , , , , ,