Loaded Gnocchi Soup

Loaded baked potato anything is amazing isn't it? 

In Green Bay, Ron and I go to a well loved restaurant that serves a loaded gnocchi entree.  Every time we go there Ron tells me that it would be his last meal. Morbid? I guess, but it gave me inspiration to remake the dish at home, but as a soup.  In between bites Ron proclaimed that the soup was his new favorite, and to me nothing speaks success more than that. I did not make my own gnocchi for this soup, but I am sure you could and it would be fantastic. To tell you the truth, gnocchi is on my list of foods that I find intimidating to make at home. I know that one of these days I will give it a try, but I am not ready yet (and I like the ease of this on a weeknight!).  This soup is a perfect comfort to the cold snap that has come to Wisconsin. I hope that we get a break because mid-November is really early to bring in the under 20 degree weather! 

Tonight I am heading to the gym after work, and then making a red and green themed recipe for an upcoming December blog challenge. 

I also wanted to extend a BIG thank you to everyone who voted for my Beer and Brat Mac & Cheese in the  Festival Foods Tailgating Recipe Contest! I am excited to announce that I won! I am waiting for more details, but am planning a fun giveaway as a big thank you for helping me win. 


Ingredients

12 slices of bacon, chopped
One medium onion, diced
1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
2  cups whole milk 
2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 pound Gnocchi
Salt and pepper, to taste
Green onion, sliced
Cheddar Cheese, shredded


Instructions

In a dutch oven or heavy bottom pan cook bacon till crisp. Remove bacon and place on a paper towel lined plate. Drain all grease from pot except for 2 tablespoons. Add onions and saute till tender. Stir flour into the onions and cook for an additional minute while continuously stirring. Gradually whisk in the broth and milk. Bring the soup to to a gentle simmer and allow it to thicken for about 5-8 minutes. Add gnocchi and gently simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese and season with salt and black pepper. Ladle into bowls and top with green onions, cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon. 

Labels: , , , ,