King Crown Burrito Casserole

Hello from Sanibel Island, Florida! 

We are starting off our week at our resort and enjoying the lovely pools, fruity drinks, cool ocean and sandy beaches full of shells!

However, I couldn't leave for a week and not share a new tasty recipe with all of you!  This recipe came about someplace in between a burrito craving and cleaning out my pantry.  I love casseroles full of flavor and goodies and this casserole doesn't disappoint! It is full of beans, beef, corn, spicy chilies, tomatoes and cheese. The topper of this casserole is crispy potato rounds. I have no shame in my love of tater tots and these little rounds are a perfect topper for my casserole. Kellen, Ron and I loved this casserole and it reheated perfectly for lunch leftover the following afternoon. 

After making the casserole I was at a loss what to call it and Ron came up with this name and I thought it was perfect! 

Enjoy the casserole and see you soon! 


Ingredients

1 medium onion, diced
1 yellow bell, diced
1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (11 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (I use Rotel brand)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (11 oz) can of corn
1 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 Tbl chili powder
1/2 Tbl ground cumin
1 tsp salt
 1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
20 oz Crispy Crown tater tots (about 2/3 of the bag)


Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish and set aside. 

In a large rimmed skillet, brown beef with onions, peppers and garlic. Drain excess grease. Add corn, beans and tomatoes. Add seasonings and allow beef mixture to cook for a few minutes.  Spread beef into the casserole dish and top evenly with cheese. Arrange tater crowns over the casserole. 

Bake 35-40 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. 

Labels: , , , ,