Slow Cooker Cuban Sandwiches

Cuban sandwiches rank, to me, are at the top of the sandwich food chain. I worked at a restaurant called Nicky's  for 10 years that had the bet Cuban sandwich ever.  The unique thing about Nicky's Cuban was that it was not pressed and was a big whopper of a sandwich. Whenever I was working it was one of the most popular things on the menu. I have had Cuban sandwiches in Miami and Key West, and I still think Nicky's is the best out there. 

I decided that I wanted to make a slow cooker version of my favorite sandwich. I used a pork tenderloin because it was what I had on hand, but you could easily use whatever type of cut you prefer.  I also opted to use bolillo rolls over traditional Cuban bread or a hoagie roll. I love bolillo rolls because they are the perfect size for a single sandwich. I used citrus and cumin to spice my pork and a little bit of beer. On the sandwich I  paired the pork with Swiss cheese, thinly sliced smoked ham, mayo, yellow mustard and pickles.  I also opted to toast the sandwich slightly once assembled to melt the cheese and warm the ham. 

How did my sandwich shape up? It was amazing! The flavors and textures were spot on and my entire family gobbled it down. I was so sad when the leftovers were gone....I am already craving another! Seriously, makes these ASAP- you will not be disappointed. 

Tonight, I was going to have sushi with a few friends but a few had to cancel, and with all this Cuban talk we might have to venture to Nicky's for  sandwich! However, I am equally satisfied with the taco pizza that was put on the menu last minute. 

Last night Kellen and I met my friend Kayla for ice cream, and when I asked Kellen what time he wanted he yelled, "the brown one with the red M&Ms!". Kids are hysterical. Ron and I also caught up on The Following last night and it was so good. I really like the new character they introduced, and he is providing great suspense to the show! 



Ingredients

1  lb pork tenderloin
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 Tbl dried oregano
Juice of one lime
Juice of one orange 
1/4 cup beer
10 thin slices smoked ham
10 slices swiss cheese
Mustard
Mayo
Sliced pickles
5 Boillio rolls


Instructions

Place pork in the slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix broth, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, lime juice, orange juice and beer. Pour over the pork. Cook on low heat for 8 hours. Remove from slow cooker and shred. Return to slow cooker and keep warm till you are ready to assemble the sandwiches. 

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. 

Cut the rolls in half. Spread mustard and mayo over one side of the bread. Top with pickles, 2 slices of ham and 2 slices of cheese. On the other half of the roll, top with shredded pork. Place the sandwich open face in the oven and cake till cheese is just melted. Join halves together, cut and serve immediately. 
pickles mayo mustard halve the bread cheese and ham then cheese and pork toast to melt

Labels: , , ,