Weeknight Porchetta

Happy Friday everyone! 

I am so happy that the weekend is finally here and looking forward to a weekend with lots of fun activities and family.   I am getting my cheesecake recipe together for Sunday and have Kellen’s basket from the bunny ready to go!  Since Kellen is so young we filled his basket with non-sugary treats like a pair of Mickey Mouse gardening gloves and a bubble gun (this is mainly for his father is you ask me).  Tonight we are making a casserole for dinner that got pushed from last night and doing a little last minute shopping to get ready for the weekend. I am really looking forward to taking Kellen to hunt for Easter eggs at the zoo tomorrow morning!  For what I remember there was a long line in years past and we will likely be going as early as possible. 

On to the food. 

I originally saw this Bon Appétit for Elly’s blog, Elly Says Opa.  I love porchetta and was thrilled to see an easy recipe that I would make on  a weeknight.  My favorite porchetta is one my cousin brings from Chicago for a holiday. It is so delicious…. spicy, salty, savory and flavorful.  This recipes is a little less intensive and doesn't require a butcher. I kept close to the original spice blend, but I added an extra slice of bacon and some crushed red pepper flakes.... we like a little extra in our  house.  I also followed Elly's lead and added potatoes and broccoli to my roasting dish for sides (they are delicious roasted in the drippings).  I loved the flavors of this tenderloin and they reminded me a lot of the delicious porchetta my cousins share with us.  I was watching my friend Emily's daughter when I made this and the two kiddos devoured this tenderloin like there was no tomorrow! It was cute to watch the kids explore the different flavors of the fennel seed and rosemary (and like it too!). 

In addition to the previously mentioned family time, we are going to dye egg on Saturday and I am really excited. Dying eggs was always one of my favorite thing at Easter time and I love making the different designed with the wax crayon and attempting to get the perfect two-toned colored egg.  

Do you have any fun plans? 



Ingredients

4 garlic cloves, minced +  1 heads, halved crosswise
1 Tbl chopped fresh rosemary +  4 whole sprigs
1 Tbl fennel seeds, finely chopped
1½ tsp kosher salt
2 Tbl olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 (1- 1½) lb pork tenderloin
5 slices bacon


Instructions

Preheat oven to 425°.

 In a small bowl,  minced  garlic, chopped rosemary, fennel seeds, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil . Rub garlic mixture all over tenderloin (Note: if you have time to do this in the morning you can do this prior and refrigerate pork until dinner). Scatter rosemary sprigs in a roasting or baking pan. Wrap bacon slices around tenderloin, tucking ends underneath so bacon stays put. Place tenderloin over the rosemary spring and nestle halved heads of garlic around tenderloin and drizzle everything with remaining 1 tablespoon of oil.

Roast until the tenderloin for 40-45 minutes or until  an instant-read thermometer reads 150-160 (depending on what temperate you prefer) at the thickest part of the tenderloin. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest at least 10 minutes before slicing.

*If you want to add potatoes and veggies to the roasting pan they can cook with the tenderloin. I toss the potatoes in oil and seasoning. I add the potatoes to the pan with the meat and roast. Next, toss the  broccoli in oil and add to the roasting pan about half way into the cook time.*

Labels: ,