Ham and Cheese Gnocchi Skillet

Oh my goodness people...... this meal was fantastic. 

I originally found this on Pinterest, but this recipe comes from JoCooks and FoodNetwork.   It is certainly not the healthiest meal I have ever made, but I serve it with a giant arugula salad- that helps right??? Truth be told, we believe in moderation in our house and always have a veggie heavy meal or a hefty serving as a side dish. When I don't have my garden, I normally spring for the pre-washed organic salad tubs because I find that I am more likely to eat it if I simple need to grab it out of my fridge versus doing lots of prep- perfect side for a one-pot meal like this one. 

My family was ga-ga for this recipe. The flavors were so delicious and I loved the tender gnocchi in the cheesy creamy sauce. I also loved the nice browned top with give a slightly different texture. My other favorite thing about this meal was how easy it was. Aside from cutting up the onion and ham (to save more time you could buy the pre-diced by the lunch meat) it was all in one skillet- perfect for a weeknight or when you do not have a lot of time to cook. The other great thing about this recipe is that it is versatile. I used peas, but blanched broccoli, cauliflower or brussel sprouts would all be wonderful additions. 

Tonight, I am heading out after dinner for a volleyball game. I play with my co-workers/friends and we always have so much fun together on Thursday night. It is the perfect time to get silly and blow off steam. We like to win, but I think we like to laugh even more and watching each other drive in the dirt provides lots of amusement to us! I am really lucky to have a fun group of girls at work because, not only does it make my job easier, it makes for fun nights out of the house (and a little exercise too!). 


Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups ham, finely diced
1½ cup water
1 (16 oz) package gnocchi
1 cup frozen peas
½ cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup mozzarella, shredded
½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Parsley, finely chopped for garnish


Instructions

Heat the olive oil in a large oven safe skillet. Add onions to skillet and cook until tender. Add ham to skillet and cook until ham starts slightly browning.

Add peas to skillet and stir. Add gnocchi to skillet, water and heavy cream. Stir and let cook for about 5-8 minutes until gnocchi is tender and sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper.

Sprinkle with cheese on top and place skillet under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes until cheese is melted and starts to brown.

Remove from oven, sprinkle with parsley and serve.

Labels: , , , , , ,