Homemade Margarita Mix

When the air starts to warm up there is one drink that screams patio sipping to me, and that is the margarita.  When I was younger I was never a big tequila fan (unless it was body shots while I was sneaking into bars when I was 19). As I have gotten older, I have really started to like tequila and nothing tastes better than a ice cold rock margarita on a warm sunny day. 

I had never put much stock into making my own mix until I started reading Confessions of a Foodie Bride after seeing many delicious margarita recipes on our cooking board. I followed Shawnda's recipe for mix and it was so easy I kicked myself for ever buying a bottle of the pre-made stuff. Like I said, the mix is delightfully easy and makes a perfect amount to fill a quart mason jar with enough overflow for one test drink.  Ron and I loved the tartness from this mix ration and that it let the lime shine and didn't cover it with an overkill of sugar.  I will post my margarita recipe tomorrow- just in time for the weekend! 

Another great thing about making your own margarita mix is that you can adjust the amount you make to accommodate a big crowds or just a few cocktails for yourself and a few friends. Add in a few different juices and tequilas and you have yourself a party! 

Tonight, I am relaxing at home, working on the garden, watching SVU with my buddy Emily and working on a few blog recipes. We are planning on planting our garden this weekend, and I need to get everything organized so we are ready to go on Saturday! Kellen will be at his grandparents so we have plenty of time for a garden planting date... I think a few margaritas will be a perfect cool treat while we work! 


Ingredients

2 cups fresh lime juice (18-25 limes)
2 cups water
1 cup granulated sugar


Instructions

In a medium sauce pan, heat water and sugar to a simmer. Reduce heat and whisk to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and cool for about 5 minutes. Add the lime juice and whisk. Cool and store in a quart mason jar. The mix will keep 7-10 days. 

Labels: , ,