One-Pot BLT Tortellini Skillet

Tomato season is finally here. 

One of my favorite summer meals is a BLT. A ripe juicy tomato, crisp smokey bacon, fresh lettuce and creamy mayo on lightly toasted sourdough bread....drool drool drool.  However, I am not always in the mood for a sandwich and I decided that my favorite sandwich could become an amazing pasta.

As you know, I love one pot meals and this pasta is soooooo easy and makes a delicious dinner in less than 30 minutes.  I opted to use a cheese tortellini for my pasta, but  if you prefer other fillings I am sure that they would be delicious.  I like to use Nueske's smoked bacon when I cook. They are a Wisconsin company and make my favorite bacon ever.  I also used a little fresh spinach and cherry tomatoes from the farmer's market, and they helped create an amazing BLT inspired meal. 

Last night, I worked up a sweat playing volleyball and came home to dinner prepared by my sweet husband. Tonight, I am heading to dinner with a few girlfriends. My friend Angie lives in Seattle and is in town for the week and I am really excited to see her! We are headed to SALT for dinner and I am already excited after peeking at their updated menu! I am thinking about ordering the Notorious P.I.G. or the Dirty Bastard Nachos and a side salad.... now I am hungry..... 


Ingredients

20 oz cheese tortellini (from refrigerator section)
8 oz heavy cream
1 2/3 cup water
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 handful spinach
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
2 Tbl grated Romano or Parmesan
8 slices of cooked bacon, chopped
2/3 cup halved cherry tomatoes


Instructions

Place pasta, cream, water and garlic powder into an oven safe skillet. Simmer 8-10 min until the liquid has reduced and thickened. 

Add spinach, cheese, 1/2 cup tomatoes and gently stir till cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper (remember you will add bacon at the end so careful with the salt). 

Top with remaining cheese and Romano.  Broil for 3-5 minutes. Watch the pasta carefully because it will burn easily and you want a nice light brown top. 

Remove from oven and top with remaining tomatoes and chopped bacon. 

Labels: , , ,