Crispy Oven Fried BBQ Chicken Thighs

We are a split household. I like chicken breasts and my husband likes chicken thighs. Since I do most of the cooking I usually use chicken breasts, but I am always on the look-out for a new chicken thigh recipe for my husband. Awhile ago, I made a recipe for Oven Fried Chicken Thighs and it was a big hit with my family. I decided to make my own twist on the recipe and use BBQ sauce in the marinade.  I am a big fan of BBQ chicken and knew the flavor would be outstanding in my chicken recipe. 

One thing I love about this recipe is that it is so easy for a weeknight. The chicken marinates all day, is tossed in a bag of flour and seasoning and finished in the oven. So simple. 

My family loved the recipe and the chicken was perfectly crispy and juicy. The one thing I noticed is that the chicken charred a bit on the bottom due to the sugar in the BBQ sauce. It didn't impact the flavor, but gave a few small char spots. The flavor of the BBQ sauce was mild, but certainly there and gave  nice hint of sweetness and tangy spice to the chicken.  I paired my chicken with corn, mashed potatoes, biscuits and green salads- it was an amazing meal. 

Tonight, Ron and I are joining my Dad for dinner at one of my favorite restaurants- Republic Chophouse. I can't wait- yum! This weekend we also have a few fun Halloween/ Fall activities planned and that include carving our pumpkins- more detail in my Monday re-cap! Have a great weekend everyone!


Ingredients

5 oz plain greek yogurt 
1/3 cup BBQ sauce (I used Stubb's)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp black pepper
6 chicken thighs, skin-on & bone-in
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp baking powder


Instructions

Whisk together yogurt, BBQ sauce, garlic powder, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper in a bowl. Pour mixture in to a resealable bag. Add chicken pieces and turn to coat. Zip the bag closed, and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.

Preheat oven to 425°F
Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, add a wire rack and spray with olive oil (lightly)
Mix together the flour, paprika, baking powder, remaining salt and remaining pepper in a large resealable bag.

Take the chicken out of the marinade bag, shake off excess marinade, and add a piece to the flour bag.
Shake, the remove and shake off excess coating and place on prepared rack.
Repeat with remaining chicken. Throw out the remaining marinade and flour mixture.

Lightly spray (lightly brush) chicken with olive oil. Bake 45-60 minutes until golden brown and the internal temperature reads 160°F in the thickest part of the meat.  

Labels: