Slow Cooker Beef and Ale Stew

Wisconsin has weird weather.  It was almost 70 this week and not it is 40 degrees- welcome to fall in Wisconsin.....

When it is cold and drizzly I start to crave stews and soups. I love beef stew, but there is never enough time for me to prepare it during the week unless I use my slow cooker.  I filled my stew with big chunks of potatoes, carrots and stew meat. I like to use pearl onion over chunks of onions, but either will work just fine. I also opt to make a slurry to thicken my stew over tossing the beef in flour. I have used both methods and like how this one thickens a little better but, again, either way will work. 

My family and I loved this stew and gobbled it down with some nice crusty bread on the side for dipping. Kellen favorite part was the carrots and onions- kid loves his veggies. 

Last night, I had dinner with my girlfriends Kayla and Emily at Nicky's- it was delicious and so nice for us moms to get out of the house! Emily came over a little SVU watching as well. 

Tonight,  we are headed out for dinner with my parents and a friend from out of town. We are going to the Union Hotel and I am really excited because they have delicious steak and amazing saute mushrooms....yum. This weekend we are also have taking our nephew for a fun day as his birthday gift. Kellen is really excited and it should be a really fun day. 

Next week we find out the sex of little Baby L! I can't believe that I am half way into this pregnancy. I figured it would fly by, but it is going to fast! We are actually finding out on Tuesday, but will not know until next Saturday when we find out with our family. 

Have a fun weekend everyone!



Instructions

1 1/2 lb beef stew meat
2 cups chopped carrots
1.1/2 cup frozen pearl onions 
3 cup quartered Russet potatoes 
2 Tbl soy sauce 
12 oz ale
4 cups beef stock
4 spring of fresh thyme 
1/4 cup flour
2/3 cup water
Salt and Pepper


Instructions

Season stew meat with salt and pepper. Brown in a skillet to get a nice crust on the meat. While the meat cooks, whisk together soy sauce, ale and stock. Place the meat. carrots, onions and potatoes in to a slow cooker and pour liquid over the top. Top with sprigs of thyme. 

Cooker 8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high. 

In the last 30 minutes of cooking turn the slow cooker to high (or leave it on high if cooking at that temp), make a slurry with the flour and water. Pour into the stew and stir. Place the cover over the slow cooker and allow to cook the remaining 30 minutes and thicken. 

Season with salt and pepper if needed and serve. 

Labels: , , ,