Peppermint Cheesecake Dip

Sometimes it is good to step outside of your comfort zone, right?  

My work had a dip contest last week and I entered this dip and it won the sweet category! I am normally not a person who gravitates towards a sweet dip, but decided to take the plunge and go with a sweet dip. In the spirit of being festive I wanted to use some of the lovely candy canes hanging from my tree and make a peppermint cheesecake dip!  

This dip is so easy to make and is a great addition to a spread as an appetizer or a dessert. I love the pretty pink color the crushed candy canes give the dip. I opted to serve this with graham crackers and chocolate covered pretzels. I have to say that that pretzels are amazing- sweet and salty for the win!  I also like to top the dip with crushed candy canes....so pretty. I like to use a food processor to crush them because it gets them very fine, but it is not necessary if you don't have one. The best part of crushing the candy canes was the look on Kellen's face as he watched me take them from the tree and put them in the food processor. Poor kid was so confused!  Thankfully, he really liked his sample of dip! 

Tonight was a bit of a crazy night at our house. Ron had a long day at work and was in bed by 8 and I have had the run of the house! Feels odd..... but I decided that I can use my free time for blogging and gift wrapping. I am such a wrapping procrastinator....ugh....

To wrap up (har har), this dip is a great for a party! My co-workers loved it and it is beautiful and festive- perfect for a holiday party!


Ingredients

2 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 - 3 teaspoon peppermint extract (taste as you go depending on how strong you want it)
2 (8 oz) containers Cool Whip
7 crushed candy canes* (reverse a little for the topping)
Chocolate Graham Crackers
Chocolate Covered Pretzels


Instructions

Using a stand or hand mixer, mix the cream cheese until smooth.  Add the sugar and peppermint extract and mix until smooth and combined.

Add the Cool Whip and mix until evenly combined.

Gently fold in the crushed candy canes. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve with chocolate graham crackers and chocolate covered pretzels and top with remaining crushed candy canes.

*I use a food process to get the candy canes crushed very fine, but if you don’t have one a double bagged ziplock and a heavy can will work.

Labels: , ,