Easy Split Pea and Kielbasa Soup

I am a big split pea soup lover.  As a kid, I remember my Grandma making pots of split pea or bean after a ham and thinking it was delicious.  It is the type of soup I will get a craving for, but do not always have a leftover ham sitting around to make a soup. I came across this recipe from Taste of Home and immediately put it on our meal plan because it sounded easy and delicious.  I had not tried kielbasa in my pea soup before and knew it would be something I would enjoy.  I opted to use a turkey sausage to lighten up the soup a little bit, but if you prefer regular it will be just as tasty.  The only other change I made was to use a bit of chicken broth and add a little additional water because the soup is pretty thick.  I didn’t find that I needed to use additional seasoning beside what is list below.  Ron and I loved this soup and it re-heated great for lunches. Kellen was a little apprehensive because of the color (which is odd because he loves green veggies), but happily ate the sausage, carrots, celery and onions from the soup. Kids are so funny sometimes.

This week has been flying by and I can’t believe it is Friday tomorrow!  This weekend my sister is hosting a Blessing Way for me and the babe.  A Blessing Way is somewhat of an alternative baby shower.  Traditionally,  a Blessing Way was a Navajo Ritual created to support and empower the mother for her journey of birthing and motherhood. However, many times it is now alternative to Baby Showers. Many times the baby shower focus is gifts and baby and a Blessing Way focus is on the mother and her journey.   Our road to this baby was not as long as some, but it certainly had hurdles. I am really thankful that I am able to have another child and an afternoon of support with people I love is really exciting to me.  And there will be cake and nachos because like I said this is about the mother and this mother loves a little cake and nachos.  There are going to be some other activities and I can share them with you in Sunday after the party.  I am so flattered that my sister is putting this together and am so excited for Saturday!

Tonight, we are laying low and I need to get Kellen’s Valentine’s together for his Friendship Party at school. They are having ice cream sundaes and he is in charge of the M&Ms… I wish parents were invited- yum!


Ingredients

1 pound smoked turkey kielbasa, cut into ¼- ½ inch pieces
1 pound dried split peas
4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
3 cups water
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
2 bay leaves


Instructions

Cut sausage in half lengthwise. Place in a soup pot and add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until peas are tender. Remove the bay leaves. 

Makes 2 quarts. 

Labels: , ,