Tomatillo Chicken Enchiladas

Enchiladas are one of those things that I always think of taking a long time to prepare. However, when I saw this recipe from So Tasty, So Yummy shared on my cooking board I knew it would be a perfect weeknight meal for my family. I love enchiladas and the creamy spicy sauce sounded too good to pass up! 

I use my Taco Ranch Chicken for this recipe because I normally keep some in the fridge or will prepare it in the slowcooker while I am at work so the chicken is ready when I get home. This recipe comes together so easy and cooks quickly for a perfect weeknight meal. I have even rolled the enchiladas in the morning before work and finished the sauce when I come home for a very quickly prepared dinner! If you do this I recommend putting a damp paper towel in and covering the dish so the tortillas remain pliable. 

Kellen, Ron and I love this meal and I serve it with a little saffron rice and black or pinto beans- we also like a little sour cream and sliced olives on top (tomatoes would be yummy too!). 

Tonight Kellen has swim class and parents are invited to sit by the pool and watch. Normally, we have to watch from a little window, but on family night we get to be up close to see how the kids are doing with their swimming skills. Kellen loves swim class and it is always fun to watch and see what he is learning!

In other news, lovely pregnancy leg cramps have started..... I had them with Kellen and was hoping they would skip me this time. Nope! It is especially nice when normally will wake me around 3:00 AM....... Sigh...Maybe this was a one-time thing? I can always hope, right? I am trying to make sure I am stretching, getting enough magnesium and water, and hopefully it helps over the next few weeks. Anyone else have this lovely pregnancy side-effect?


Ingredients

12 corn tortillas
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I use my favorite Taco Ranch Chicken)
2 cups shredded Cheddar Jack cheese
3 Tbl butter
3 Tbl flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
½ cup tomatillo or verde salsa


Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.

Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 40 seconds. Mix the chicken with 1 cup of the cheese. Place a couple spoon fulls of the chicken mixture in each tortilla, roll up and place seam-side down in the prepared pan.

In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for a about a minute, whisking the whole time. Add broth and whisk until smooth, heat for 3-4 minutes until thick and bubbly. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream and salsa. Pour the sauce over the rolled tortillas and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes and serve.

Labels: , ,