Loaded Cauliflower Casserole

I always find myself last minute and unplanned side dishes for a meal. Occasionally, I will plan the protein around a particular side dish, but more often I am making rice, a simple potato or a steamed veggies. While these are all delicious and my family loves them I like when we can find a more creative side that is both quick and delicious! My friend Kayla likes to cook and we will often pass recipes to each other when we find a keeper that was popular with the kids. Kids are always the kicker because sometimes I am so sure Kellen will like something and NOPE, and other times he takes me by complete surprise! 

Recently, Kayla passed this recipe for Loaded Cauliflower Casserole to my friend Emily and I. I loved the loaded potato idea, but making it a little less starchy by using cauliflower. Cauliflower is also one of our favorite veggies and I was excited to give it a try. This recipe was a breeze to put together and I do use a few short cuts when it comes to veggie prep. My store sells the fresh cauliflower heads pre-chopped and this always saves me a bunch of time! I did not try this recipe with frozen, but I think it would work fine as long as you cook it prior and pat dry. Ron, Kellen and I all loved this side dish and it has become a bit of a go-to for us (especially when we are grilling steaks!). I also love to have the leftovers for breakfast with a runny egg on the side because, really, doesn’t an egg on top always make it even better. 

Tonight we are, hopefully, picking up a new car! We bought our SUV last year and have two older cars that both need a lot of work and we are opting to trade in for a newer car.  The car is primarily before Ron to go back and forth to work and we will use the SUV for our primary car. Car shopping always seems so stressful before I get started, but then usually turns out to be a very easy process.  We are also getting a few thing done around baby boy’s room because the rest of his furniture was delivered yesterday! I am excited to get it all together and I can show you all a few photos!  This weekend is the Belly to Baby Expo and I am really hoping I can sneak in a pedicure on Sunday for a little mama-to-be pampering! 

Have a great weekend! 


Ingredients

1 head cauliflower, cut into medium pieces (4 to 5 cups chopped) 
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
3 scallions, thinly sliced
5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper


Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large pot of boiling water, place cauliflower in a steamer basket and cook 7 to 9 minutes, or until just tender. Drain well. You can also do this in the microwave with a little water if you do not have a steamer basket.

In a large bowl, gently mix cauliflower, sour cream, 1 cup cheese, half the scallions, half the bacon, salt, and pepper.  Spoon mixture into an 8x8 baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining bacon and remaining scallions and serve.

Labels: , , , ,