One-Pot Cheesy Taco Orzo

I have a few taco lovers in my house (myself included).  I love crunchy tacos, but we like to try different recipes with our favorite taco flavors. 

I do not cook with orzo often, but our store has a pasta sale (I know right? Yum!), and I picked up a box and decided to make a taco inspired meal. I thought orzo was a perfect vehicle for a one-pot meal (another one of my favorite things). 

I opted for a lean ground beef, but ground turkey would work great. I also added some onions, mild green chilies, tomato, some taco sauce, and taco seasoning- of course.   This meal comes together so fast and is so delicious! Kellen exclaimed half-way into his meal “I love this orzo!” Music to my ears. 

I thought sharing this taco recipe was perfect for this week considering it is Kellen’s birthday week and my little guy is a taco lover extraordinaire.  Like I mentioned in my weekly meal plan post, our theme for the party this weekend is Dragons Love Tacos. 

Today wraps up my crazy season at work and I am celebrating with a barre class at Pure Barre tonight and an easy sub sandwich dinner with my family.  I am getting started on the menu planning for Kellen’s party and ordering his cake for the party.  I  am also starting to put together a few games for the celebration.  My sister is nice enough to help me with some of the printing and getting the decor ready for his party. I love planning birthday parties and am really excited to see this theme come full circle because Dragons Love Tacos is our favorite book. It makes me excited that I now have two little people to plan parties for! Yay!

Happy hump day friends! 


Ingredients

1 1/2 lb lean ground beef or turkey
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies 
1 packet taco seasoning
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup taco sauce (I use mild)
2 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
2 cup uncooked orzo
 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
sliced green onion, black olives, tomatoes, shredded cheese, for topping


Instructions

In a large rimmed skillet, brown beef with diced onion till no longer pink. Drain excess grease.

Add chilies, taco seasoning, tomato sauce, garlic powder, taco sauce, chicken broth and orzo. Stir well.

Cover and simmer for about 8-10 minutes, or until orzo is tender. Top with cheese and other desired toppings and serve.

Labels: , , , , ,