French Onion Chicken Casserole

Casseroles are going strong in my house and I wanted to share a new favorite inspired by one of my favorite soups.  I saw this recipe and decided that I needed to make my own version of the recipe for my family. This recipe is really easy and soooo delicious. I have been liking to use ground chicken in my casseroles, but if you prefer pieces of chicken that will work, but I recommend cooking it first.
I use it because I prefer the texture to large pieces in my casserole. Also, make sure to leave time to cook the onions, or cook them prior leaving even faster prep. The casserole is creamy, rich, cheesy, and topped with delicious flaky biscuits. This was a big winner in my house.

THis morning I am a little slow moving and tired! My sister and I participated in the Point in Time (PIT) street count last night from midnight until 2 am.   The  is required by Housing and Urban DEvelpoment (HUD) and it is a count of sheltered and unsheltered homeless persons on a single night in January. There is also another count done in summer. Our group did see anyone is our assigned area last night, but normally counts are higher in summer. Needless to say I am a little sleepy after going to bed at 3 am and getting up at 5 am....coffee for me this morning!

Tonight we are relaxing at home after 2 barre classes and PIT I need an early bed time!

Have a great day everyone!


Ingredients

2 large onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbl olive oil
1 lb ground chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of onion soup
1/3 cup soup cream
1 can french cut green beans, drained
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 beef bouillon cubes, crushed
1 1/2 cups grated swiss cheese
8 flaky refrigerator biscuits, cut into quarters


Instructions

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.

In a medium saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onions. Slowly cook till they become a caramel brown color. This will take about 15-20 minutes.

While onions are cooking, cook the ground chicken breaking is apart with a spoon. In a medium bowl, mix together soups, sour cream, green beans, black pepper, and crushed bouillon cubes.

Add caramelized onions to soup mixture and stir. Add the ground chicken and stir.  Layer into the baking dish and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove from over and top with cheese. Next, evenly layer the quartered biscuits on the casserole. Return the casserole to the over and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until biscuits are cooked and begin to brown.

Remove from oven and serve.

Labels: , ,